RE: Background on DSSSL

Subject: RE: Background on DSSSL
From: "Mason, James David (MXM) " <MXM@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 16:40:20 -0400
Sorry for a delay; I've been out of the office. In the meanwhile, there's
been a growing movement to get DSSSL back on the active track in my
committee, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34.

But to answer the question: If there is no activity and no countries are
able to reply that DSSSL is being used in their areas, it will become a
lapsed standard. That will mean that nobody will be able to cite it as a
normative reference in a specification or in another standard.

As for the steps:

1. We need a project editor (this is being worked by Didier Martin and Ken
Holman, along with some people in my committee).

2. We'll need other people to be ready to work with national standards
bodies to keep them aware of DSSSL and to provide expertise to respond to
ballots, etc. (There's action already in Canada, Japan, and the US, but we
need more than that.)

If anyone wants details of how this happens, please contact Ken Holman or
me.

Jim Mason
Chairman, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
mxm@xxxxxxxx