RE: Page margins

Subject: RE: Page margins
From: Avi Kivity <Avi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 18:49:32 +0300
On Monday, July 12, 1999 18:18, Darrell W. Royter
[SMTP:droyter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> I am trying to create a book using Jade, outputing the file as rtf.
> I would
> like the page margins to be different between the right and left
> pages, to
> account for the gutter space.

I don't think you can with current Jade capabilities

> I took a look at the Flow Object Class Reference and found that you
> could
> make an external procedure in order to define a first page or a
> front page
> in a document. The example was used to alternate headers on a page,
> but I
> tried a variation of it to alternate the margins. I thought this was
> the
> solution, but is didn't work. Is it that the margin space is lost
> when
> outputting a file as rtf? Or did I simply make a mistake? When I
> open the
> rtf, my margins are all the same. Jade also coughs up an error
> saying call
> of non-function-object "#f". Do I need to do more than define the
> external
> procedure?

External-procedures are a mechanism used to introduce externally-provided
extensions (usually provided by the implementation, i.e. Jade) into the
style-sheet namespace. For example, an external-procedure might be used to
query the username running Jade.

To get different margins for odd and even pages, you need the page-sequence
flow object class, and use the repeat-page-models characteristic. You also
need an implementation which supports all this.

You probably saw a reference to external-procedure in the context of
if-first-page or if-front-page, which are Jade extensions and therefore are
external-procedures.

If you really need it, you can add such an extension yourself (or preferably
add support for page-sequence).

---
"The only words which have meaning are the last ones spoken"