Formatting CALS tables

Subject: Formatting CALS tables
From: "joseph, Gershon" <Gershon_joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 14:27:47 +0300
I am having difficulty in matching the various CALS elements to the DSSSL
table flow object classes. I searched the archives and only found how to
blindly call in the DocBook definitions. Since I like to understand what I'm
doing, I would rather code the tables from scratch to see how the various
pieces fit together. I could not glean this information from the DocBook
stylesheets ;-(

My DTD replaces the <table> element with the 2 elements <intable> and
<ftable> (informal and formal tables). Otherwise, markup is the same as
regular CALS tables.

I tried the following code in my DSSSL, which messed up the rtf output which
was fine (apart from tables) before hand:

;;
;; Process table elements
;;
(element (intable) (process-children))

(element (ftable) (process-children))

(element (tgroup)
	(make table
		(process-children)))

(element (thead)
	(make table-part
		(process-children)))

(element (tbody)
	(make table-part
		(process-children)))

I have tried reading the DSSSL standard, and can't see how to specify a row
as header (<thead> element) or body row (<tbody> element).

Has anyone documented how to specify the formatting of a table? If not, I'm
willing to do so once I get it working.

Thanks,

Gershon

Gershon Leib Joseph