Re: About Constructions rules

Subject: Re: About Constructions rules
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 16:12:42 -0500
Quoting Matthias Clasen <clasen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >    Valid point, but unless I'm being naive here (which is a reasonable
> > possibility :), I don't think it's insurmountable.  The idea of being
> > able to start processing before the entire document is parsed is very
> > nice, but does Jade really do this?
> >    It would have to happen one of two ways.  Jade would have to be
> > multi-threaded, with separate threads for the parsing (and grove
> > building) and processing.  I'm fairly certain this is not the case.
> > The alternative would be that Jade parses the document on an as-needed
> > basis.  It's possible that this could be happening, but is it?
> > Matthias, Didier, Avi, etc?  Can you answer this?
>
> Jade is multi-threaded (supported only on some platforms); the grove
> is built in a separate thread. Processing the grove starts as soon as
> the grove-building thread returns the first nodes.

   Ah, yes... now that you mention it, that does ring a bell.  As I
recall, it's only multi-threaded on NT (or has that changed?).  So, if
Jade's processing encounters a need for a part of the source grove
that has not yet been parsed in, it blocks until it's available.  Why
wouldn't query rule evaluation work basically the same way?
   As Avi has stated, DSSSL/Scheme have been carefully designed to
allow for "lazy" processing in a number of places, and I think this
would be one area where this could be put to very good use.
   On the other hand, if James *did* actually state that query rule
processing would be problematic, I'd have to think he's aware of
deeper reasons than I, so... *shrug*

-Brandon :)