Re: About Constructions rules

Subject: Re: About Constructions rules
From: Matthias Clasen <clasen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 01:56:41 +0200

> A (query ...) construction rule operates in the following way:
> 1. The dsssl engine hands the style-query-expression the grove root. In
> fact, with both hands - (current-node) and (current-root)
> 2. The stylesheet (you) now use standard node manipulation to gather nodes
> into a node-list. The dsssl engine has no say as to the compexity of this.
> It can be O(1), O(children in toplevel element), O(all elements), O(all
> nodes), or O(atoms in solar system).
> 3. The stylesheet (still you) returns the assembled node-list to the dsssl
> engine. It may be large or small.
> 4. The dsssl engine feeds the node-list, node by node, to the
> construct-expression. This is essentially what (map-constructor) does (or
> will do in 1.2.2). The sosofos keep their separate identities (they are
> related to their nodes).
> 5. When a node's turn to be processed comes, if it is in the node-list
> returned by the q-c-r, the corresponding sosofo is inserted.

This is one way to look at it, but don't forget that there may be multiple
query rules which match the same node. With your algorithm, we would
construct 20 sosofos and throw 19 of them away later, since only the one
produced by the most specific query rule would be used.

--
Matthias Clasen,
Tel. 0761/203-5606