Re: DSSSL engine in LISP?

Subject: Re: DSSSL engine in LISP?
From: Joe English <jenglish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 10:47:01 -0700
Frank A. Christoph <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I think the choice to use the word "grove" was made because, in general, a
> DSSSL implementation is supposed to be able to take as input several
> documents at once: thus, there are several trees. "Forest" is the more
> common term here, but people in the SGML world seem to have something
> against using existing jargon.

Actually, I think it's because a "grove" is a highly specialized
type of tree.  "Tree" can refer to almost any rooted hierarchical
data structure, but a "grove" has certain specific features, e.g.,
each node has a list of named properties at most one of which may
be designated the "principal content" of the node, it may have
"reference nodes" which point across tree boundaries, it may have
an associated grove plan, et cetera.

--Joe English

  jenglish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx