Re: (commercial) applications using DSSSL

Subject: Re: (commercial) applications using DSSSL
From: Matthias Clasen <clasen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 23:12:52 +0200
> >    2. Read the supplied stylesheet for any defined variables, then list
> >       them in a drop-down list (or something:-) whith an adjacent field
> >       where the user could enter values or simply click an on-off switch
> >       (#t, #f). Of immeasurable use here would be some way of generating
> >       appropriate documentation for each of the variables, (is there
> >       anything remotely analogous to the "self-documenting" features of
> >       Elisp? Otherwise, the program could tie-in with a method of
> >       documentation such as Norman used in the DocBook stylesheet), as
> >       well as document the other options.

This is really simple: The dsssl spec is read as an instance of the
DSSSL architecture, so you are free to enhance the dtd for your
stylesheets with new tags for detailed descriptions of variables,
possible values, default values, etc. The dsssl engine never sees
these tags, but your clever spec editor may use them.

I once made a try at this, and if you are interested in it, I may even be
able to dig out my extended psgml which read such an extended stylesheet and
produced a menu for setting variable values. Of course, this will
be useless for you if you don't accept emacs as a "GUI".

--
Matthias Clasen,
Tel. 0761/203-5606