Re: Why has inline-space length-specs?

Subject: Re: Why has inline-space length-specs?
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:33:35 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Tony Graham wrote:

> Looking at Section 12.5.2, I can find two features of length-specs
> that would make them useful in inline-space declarations.  Firstly, a
> length-spec "specifies a length as a linear combination of other
> lengths that may not be currently known", and secondly you can compute
> a value for the length-spec based on something else.  For example:
>
>    escapement-space-before: (inline-space (* 2 (actual-font-size))
>                                           min: (* 1.8 (actual-font-size))
>                                           max: (* 2.2 (actual-font-size)))
>
> These length-specs, and the resulting inline-space, are computed from
> the value of another characteristic.
>
> (Actually, I could be just computing lengths, but you get the idea.)

This is the reasons for having length-specs at all. But I can't see any
situations where a length-spec could be anything but a plain length in the
current spec. (actual-font-size returns a length.) That was why I asked.

Could it be like it is because implementations may introduce external
procedures returning length-specs based on inline flow objects? Or is it
just a "bug"?

Regards,
/Peter Nilsson

--