Re: sgml-parse and GC

Subject: Re: sgml-parse and GC
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 21:43:45 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Brandon Ibach wrote:

> Quoting Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Maybe sgml-parse-no-cache (as an external procedure) would be easier,
[...]

>    Just my quick two cents on where this is going.  My suggestions is
> to avoid creating new constructs like (process-and-release-node-list)
> or (sgml-parse-no-cache), which require the style sheet writer to
> think about memory requirements and availability.  Instead, create
> command line options for jade (note, the lower case "j", indicating
[...]

Maybe the name was bad. sgml-parse-no-reuse would be better. What I am
intending is a way to specify that we know that the procedure won't be
called for the same entity again, so that the implementation may remove it
if desirable. So the style sheet author doesn't have to know anything
about memory usage/availability. S/he only gives a hint that this grove is
only used once.

The node-list-no-order procedure (10.1.2) is an example of such a hint
giving procedure.

However, as I concluded in another mail, I'm not sure if the grove would
actually get removed in many situations.

Well... Enough for today...

Regards,
/Peter Nilsson
--