RE: Alignment in a para

Subject: RE: Alignment in a para
From: Avi Kivity <Avi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 15:17:57 +0300
On Wednesday, August 04, 1999 13:50, DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx
[SMTP:DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> I have an instance of
>
> <item>
> <term>ASBU</term>
> <desc>Automated Services Business Unit</desc>
> </item>
> <item>
> <term>ASBU MIS</term>
> <desc>Management Information System providing production data from ASBU
> operations</desc>
> </item>
>
> I want the <desc> element content to self align starting from wherever
> the <term> ends, e.g.
>

> term   description description blah
>          blah blah
> term   description etc etc.
>
> I'm doing a (make paragraph at the
> item level, since I want the term to be in italics.
>
> Is it necessary to use table for this?
> I have tried first-line-indent and start-indent combinations,
> but they remain fixed. I need it to flex with the content.

Put the term in a line-field:

(element item
    (make paragraph
        start-indent: 1in
        first-line-start-indent: -1in
    )
)

(element term
    (make line-field
        field-width: 1in
        font-posture: 'italic
    )
)

If you really want to depend on the width of the term, you must use tables.

---
"The only words which have meaning are the last ones spoken"