Re: About XML to multiple language/multiple outputs

Subject: Re: About XML to multiple language/multiple outputs
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:54:13 -0500
Quoting Frank A. Christoph <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> That is all well and good, but it seems like you are flying into this
> without any sense of purpose besides making something "new." Fixing
> inconsistencies and errors in the standard are obviously things one wants to
> accomplish in a revision. But what are the other things that are up for
> grabs? For example, are we allowed to break backward compatibility? To what
> degree? Are we allowed to delete things from the standard? Are extensions
> acceptable? What must be preserved?
>
> I don't understand what the scope of the revision is supposed to be at all.

   I haven't finished going through all of the list messages before I
post on this, so forgive me if I cover stuff that's already been
addressed.
   I admit that I share some of the uneasiness that has been expressed
about diving into "DSSSL-2".  However, knowing that ISO doesn't allow
anyone to do anything without a whole lot of careful consideration and
much vote-taking and such, I'm not too concerned about anything hasty
happening to DSSSL.
   Rather, I think the value of Didier's work here will be to pull
together and organize knowledge that has been obtained about DSSSL
through implementation and use.  This includes inconsistencies and
errors, things that work and things that don't, as well as ideas about
how to extend and improve DSSSL into the future.  None of these
things, no matter how big or small, will just be "thrown in" to the
DSSSL standard.  Rather, they are a presentation of ideas that could
contribute to a new version of the standard.
   Coming up with the answers to your questions is the entire purpose
of the ISO committees and process.

-Brandon :)