RE: About DSSSL 2 Specifications

Subject: RE: About DSSSL 2 Specifications
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 1999 10:50:49 -0400
Hi Matthias,

Didier said:
> B) expand from this construct for template based processing
> The above construct allows to substitute a string by an other. So each
time
> the parser encounters a "logoSGML" it is substituted to "SGML User?s Group
> logo" in the source document grove elements. This is a kind of find and
> replace feature.

Matthias said:
No, this is a severe misunderstanding of the SGML/DSSSL character model.
A literal described char is a coded character (`bit combination' in ISO
speak)
in the document which can not be described by reference to a coded character
in a standard charset. Thus it is described by a literal. DSSSL identifies
characters by their names and describes them by references to coded
characters
in the `universal character set' ISO10646 (this is what standard-chars does)
or by simply naming them (in other-chars). The baseset-encoding and
literal-described-char forms define the map from coded characters in the
doc to DSSSL character names (via the description of the coded characters
in the SGML declaration).

There is no string search and replace happening here at all.

Didier says:
I may have done here two mistakes a) wrong example, b) bad interpretation of
the spec. Matthias, could you just give a small example to illustrate what
you are saying. We would all gain knowledge on how to use this feature. And
in the same vein, to document it without interpretation error. Thanks, for
fixing the error and thanks in advance providing a concrete example.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com