XML root level

Subject: XML root level
From: Roland Orre <orre@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:08:06 +0200 (MET DST)
I'm sorry but the question I have is not particularly DSSSL specific.

I'm make making an XML-compatible scheme mark up language (i.e.
all tags are in scheme syntax), to be used as a job specification
language with the intention that it anytime should be compatible
with an equivalent XML document.

My question is:
Is there any way that you can have multiple root levels in XML?

After my reading of several XML books it seems as the root
element always has the same name as the document type.

I would want to be able to specify something like:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE jobspec [
<!TOPLEVEL (scanjob | jobcontrol)>
<!ELEMENT scanjob (id,mailto?,priority?,db,select)>
<!ELEMENT jobcontrol (id,mailto?,newpriority?,remove?)>
]>
So I could start a document with e.g
<scanjob>

Now it seems as I always have to have a specific top level element like:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE job [
<!ELEMENT job (scan | control)>
<!ELEMENT scan (id,mailto?,priority?,db,select)>
<!ELEMENT control (id,mailto?,newpriority?,remove?)>
]>

Is this the only way it works or have I misunderstood something?

	Best regards
	Roland Orre