Another hopefully simple question: root attributes

Subject: Another hopefully simple question: root attributes
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (Wroth, Mark)
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 1999 07:58:04 -0700
Once again I appeal to the list for help on something that I think should be
simple but which I seem to be unable to break the code.

I need a construct which returns as a string the value of a known attribute
of the root element of a document (regardless of the GI of the document
element). I think my problem is in identifying the root element, but ...

Say the attribute I need is "id" (which it is :-). As I read the spec,

	(attribute-string "id" root)

would do what I want if "root" was an osnl returning the root element of the
current document.

The need for this can appear arbitrarily deep in the document hierarchy,
FWIW.