PDFJadeTeX Memory problems

Subject: PDFJadeTeX Memory problems
From: "Pursel, Frank" <frank_pursel@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:14:37 -0400
All,

Yeah, this is slightly off topic, but where else do I find people trying to
use PDFJadeTeX?
I am trying to use the Redhat's teTeX-1.0.6-7 to create a pdf version of a
document.  The DSSSL part is working fairly well; Norm's DSSSL for Jade is
great.  The problem is getting PDFJadeTeX to work.  The problem is one I've
read about here before, but it's gotten ugly for me.  I am hoping someone
else will know a magic incantation I've missed.

The problem is:

! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [parameter stack size=6000].
\@lduseb@x #1->
               \@lduseb@x {#1}\set@color
l.1954 {0}}\Character{8226}\endLineField
                                        {}\endSeq{}\Node%
If you really absolutely need more capacity,
you can ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Here is how much of TeX's memory you used:
 2328 strings out of 50239
 23227 string characters out of 886804
 126163 words of memory out of 263001
 10575 multiletter control sequences out of 10000+50000
 25899 words of font info for 33 fonts, out of 400000 for 1000
 14 hyphenation exceptions out of 1000
 6000i,11n,6001p,332b,2077s stack positions out of
10000i,1000n,6000p,50000b,15000s
!  ==> Fatal error occurred, the output PDF file not finished!

Ok, now here is what I have done:

0. Downloaded the most recent version of jadetex and reconstructed the
format files for jadetex and pdfjadetex, because the redhat distributed
versions were broken.
1. Modified texmf.cnf to have huge memory parameters for pdfjadetex and
pdftex.  Here are relevant parts of my current texmf.cnf file:

main_memory.context = 1100000
main_memory = 263000 % words of inimemory available; also applies to
inimf&mp
extra_mem_top = 0    % extra high memory for chars, tokens, etc.
extra_mem_bot = 0    % extra low memory for boxes, glue, breakpoints, etc.
font_mem_size = 400000
font_max = 1000
hash_extra.context = 50000
hash_extra.jadetex = 50000
hash_extra.pdfjadetex = 50000
hash_extra = 0
pool_size.context = 1000000
pool_size.jadetex = 1000000
pool_size.pdfjadetex = 1000000
pool_size = 150000
string_vacancies.context = 45000
string_vacancies = 25000
max_strings.context = 60000
max_strings.jadetex = 60000
max_strings.pdfjadetex = 60000
max_strings = 15000
pool_free.context = 50000
pool_free.jadetex = 50000
pool_free.pdfjadetex = 50000
pool_free = 5000
trie_size = 64000
buf_size = 50000
hyph_size = 1000        % number of hyphenation exceptions, >610 and <32767.
nest_size.context = 500
nest_size.jadetex = 1000
nest_size.pdfjadetex = 1000
nest_size = 100         % simultaneous semantic levels (e.g., groups)
max_in_open = 15        % simultaneous input files and error insertions
param_size.context = 15000
param_size.jadetex = 15000
param_size.pdfjadetex = 15000
param_size = 500        % simultaneous macro parameters
save_size.context = 15000
save_size.jadetex = 15000
save_size.pdfjadetex = 15000
save_size = 4000        % for saving values outside current group
stack_size.context = 10000
stack_size.jadetex = 10000
stack_size.pdfjadetex = 10000
stack_size = 300        % simultaneous input sources
ocp_buf_size = 20000    % character buffers for ocp filters.
ocp_stack_size = 10000  % stacks for ocp computations.
ocp_list_size = 1000    % control for multiple ocps.
dvi_buf_size = 16384 % TeX
gf_buf_size = 16384  % MF
error_line = 79
half_error_line = 50
max_print_line = 79

2. Run 'texconfig init'
    (Steps one and two were iterated many times trying to get the right
parameter increased.  First conservative changes, but now rather liberal
increases in everything allowed.  Despite this the parameter stack never
increased above 6000.  I have also rebuilt the format file after making
these changes.  None of these things has helped.)
3. Removed French and German Language support in Babel to, maybe, save
memory. (No obvious memory savings were evident.)
4. Downloaded the teTeX source and am now trying to recompile it.  (I read
"module-11" was where I could modify the source to increase memory
allocations, but I have not been able to find any such file yet.)

I have also looked through the mailing list archive for past info on this,
but after searching for about an hour I gave up.  Sebastian had suggested in
an old post that removing the latex pict environment from the latex source
would free up considerable memory.  Out of ignorance I have not attempted
this and fear the attempt because it seems others have made this work
without such feats.

Is the parameter stack size controlled by a parameter not listed in my
texmf.cnf file?  "param_size" does not appear to be working.

Help?