Re: Docbook:<bridgehead> -> LaTeX \marginpar{}

Subject: Re: Docbook:<bridgehead> -> LaTeX \marginpar{}
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (Wroth, Mark)
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 07:50:23 -0700
On Tue, 4 Apr 2000 00:53:14 -0500, Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
replied to Simon Dueckert +49 170 2118890 <dueckert@xxxxxxxxxx>

Quoting Simon Dueckert +49 170 2118890 <dueckert@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> I am using the Docbook 3.1 DTD and the DSSSL stylesheets v1.42. Further
> on I use jade/jadetex to generate TeX output (and I am quite happy with
> that!).
>
> My problem is that I want to have Docbook <bridgehead>-tags to be
> rendered to the \marginpar{} environment available in LaTeX. I
> recognized that jade generates TeX (not LaTeX) output.
>
> Is there any workaround to get my problem solved?

[...]

BI>   Perhaps the better question is why you want that specific
BI>environment.  Is there a particular formatting effect that this would
BI>achieve?  Perhaps you could achieve the same affect via the standard
BI>DSSSL flow objects, which would only require a customization of the
BI>DocBook stylesheets.

I don't necessarily completely understand what Simon is trying to achieve,
but as I understand the DSSSL page models, it would take a page-sequence to
achieve what the LaTeX \marginpar does.

Possibly something could be done with the non-standard column features in
Jade?  I haven't played with them enough to be sure -- the problem I foresee
is synchronizing them with the desired location in the text.  (And, of
course, they are defined for the RTF backend -- not real clear they will
have *any* utility in a JadeTeX backend.)

Mark