Re: (dsssl) "Normalizing" spaces

Subject: Re: (dsssl) "Normalizing" spaces
From: Daniel Speck <dspeck@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 12:17:19 -0400
Mark,

I think you want to set the input-whitespace-treatment characteristic on the
character flow object class to 'collapse. You can do this "globally" by doing
something like:

(declare-initial-value input-whitespace-treatment 'collapse)

-dan

"Wroth, Mark" wrote:

> I have observed that when processed with Norman Walsh's Modular DSSSL Style
> Sheets, sequences of whitespace characters in SGML DocBook are replaced by a
> single space. In other words, an element like
>
>             <para>This         is paragraph content.
>                   Note the large quantities of whitespace
>                   (spaces, tabs, and newlines)
>                   found in the paragraph.</para>
>
> will show up in the output as
>
> This is paragraph content. Note the large quantities of whitespace (spaces,
> tabs, and newlines) found in the paragraph.
>
> On the other hand, when I take a similar element from another DTD and
> process it with a homegrown style sheet, the spaces are faithfully
> reproduced in the output (especially the RTF output).
>
> Since I use emacs/PSGML to process the documents, the default behavior of
> the editor is to insert whitespace to show structure (by indentation) --
> which means the document tends to have a lot of "extraneous" whitespace
> unless I explicitly remove it.  I would greatly prefer to mimic the
> DocBook/Modular Style Sheet behavior.
>
> Can anyone tell me how this is accomplished? I can't find code in the style
> sheet that I recognize as accomplishing it, nor has poking around in the
> DSSSL spec gotten me anywhere.
>
> Thanks
>
> Mark

Daniel Speck
Bureau of National Affairs, Inc.               Voice: +1 202.452.6596
1231 25th Street, NW                             Fax: +1 202.331.5178
Washington, DC 20037                          e-mail:  dspeck@xxxxxxx