Re: (dsssl) Attributes to Elements

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Attributes to Elements
From: jany.quintard@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:46:08 +0200 (CEST)
On 12 Jun 2001 skvenkat@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    In the XML backend, I would like to transform all attributes to elements,
> e.g.,
>
>   <foo day="12" month="June" year="2001">Hello</foo>
>   </foo-attributes>Hello</foo>.
The ident transformation by james Clark seems to be a good starting point.

> which leads to the general question:

> why they didn't get rid of attributes while designing XML itself?!
I do not know. Probably they thought it was nice to have attributes
(and indeed, it is nice, even in XML).
The choice between elements and attributes is a very frequently asked
question.  See :
http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/elementsAndAttrs.html

Jany
     Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author
           and do not necessarily represent those of IBM.