Re: [dssslist] Troubles building OpenJade 1.3.2 and CVS

Subject: Re: [dssslist] Troubles building OpenJade 1.3.2 and CVS
From: Norman Gray <norman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:46:21 +0100 (BST)
Kurt,

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004, Kurt Wall wrote:

> And you are correct, you need an existing installation of a recent
> OpenSP in place first. I had another message from someone indicating
> that he couldn't build OpenJade using GCC 3.3.x, to wit:

Thanks.

> > ptolemy:sp> g++ --version
> > g++ (GCC) 3.3.3 (Debian 20040401)
>
> That would be the problem. I've built with GCC 3.2.3.

I'll keep that in mind.

In fact, I got a useful message from Yann Dirson off-list (the list
handler rejected his message first time, for some reason; I'm posting
it here so it gets in the archive), suggesting that I install the
libosp-dev Debian package.  With that installed, openjade 1.3.2 does
build successfully, with gcc 3.3.x.

I'm currently trying to build the OpenJade at the head of the CVS, and
that seems to require a different compiler version, so I'll try with gcc
3.2.x.

> > The reason I'm trying to build this is that I'd like to re-offer an
> > openjade patch I first advertised in March 2000, which adds a LaTeX
> > back-end (that is, producing generic LaTeX rather than JadeTeX output).
> > It did work with openjade 1.3; I'd just like to check that it still
> > works with 1.3.2.
>
> I'd be interested in this patch.

It does apply to 1.3.2 OK, and builds, and works for me.  There's an
outstanding report of a problem with this patch, which I have yet to
investigate.  I hope that if I try the patch with OpenJade 1.4devel,
that problem will have gone away.  Fingers crossed.

So thanks for the suggestions.  I might have another patch to offer
soon.

All the best,

Norman

Yann's message:

Sender: Yann Dirson <ydirson@xxxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 07:29:37PM +0100, Norman Gray wrote:

> OpenJade 1.3.2 doesn't build from the distribution, as it appears to
> require a preexisting installation of OpenSP (did it always do that -- I
> remember jade being standalone?).

It is an openjade modification to separate the 2 trees.

> But if I get OpenSP 1.5, unpack it
> and configure it, I can't just point the openjade ./configure to its
> include directory, because that doesn't have opensp's config.h in it
> (any more -- I can see config.h.old.in, so it clearly was there once).

I suppose you have to install opensp, just building it is probably not
sufficient.  You can install it where you want by usign configure's --prefix
option.

> I'm not even on a wierd platform: Debian testing,

Then you can install libosp-dev if you don't want to bother building opensp
yourself.

> The reason I'm trying to build this is that I'd like to re-offer an
> openjade patch I first advertised in March 2000, which adds a LaTeX
> back-end (that is, producing generic LaTeX rather than JadeTeX output).
> It did work with openjade 1.3; I'd just like to check that it still
> works with 1.3.2.

Yes, great news !

BTW: CVS head is the branch where 1.4devel lives, there is a specific branch
for 1.3.x

Regards,
--
Yann Dirson    <ydirson@xxxxxxxxxx> |    Why make M$-Bill richer & richer ?