[jats-list] JATS-CON open discussion session: accessible tables

Subject: [jats-list] JATS-CON open discussion session: accessible tables
From: "Hoeppner, Marilu (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E]" <hoeppner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2010 09:45:06 -0500
This is in reference to my presentation on accessible tables during the open
discussion session of JATS-CON.  The URL I was trying to access can be found
at:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/projects/bookshelf/tables508/table_demo.html

There are three tables shown with varying degrees of complexity.  You will
observe that hovering over a table cell in the body of a table will highlight
the corresponding header cell.  This association between the cells in the
table body and the corresponding table header cells is done using custom
javascript.  It relies on tagging the table header cell using the "id"
attribute (ID) and table body cell using the "header" attribute (IDREF).  This
tool was created for QA purposes to check the accuracy of our tagging script,
and to easily demonstrate the associations between table header and body
cells, which the screen readers would build for accessible tables.

Marilu

Marilu A. Hoeppner, Ph.D.
Bookshelf, NCBI | NLM | NIH