[jats-list] Re: Use of STIX font characters

Subject: [jats-list] Re: Use of STIX font characters
From: Evan Owens <eowens@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 16:00:56 +0000
As part of the team organizing the STIX project, I would like to point out
that the Private Use Area codes in STIX is in effect a waiting area for
characters that we hope will eventually become part of the Unicode standard.
Over the life of the STIX project, the group has collaborated with others to
expand Unicode.   What the future plans are for STIX PUA values has not been
discussed by that group recently; I have asked for a discussion and will
report back here.

Wendell's comments about documentation are spot on: if you choose to use
"private" characters, you need to document what you are doing for your own
protection and for communication with your business partners.  Using the STIX
set of Unicode PUA values directly in your XML files would in effect make your
XML files have a hidden dependency on a specification that is not declared in
the content.  That was the motivation for the NLM / JATS <private-char>
element.

I do agree that the JATS documentation needs improvement in this area. As I am
on both committees (JATS and STIX), I will share this with my colleagues and
take this on as a homework assignment.

Evan Owens
American Institute of Physics