Re: [jats-list] checking URIs

Subject: Re: [jats-list] checking URIs
From: Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2012 13:45:08 -0400
Thanks everyone for the responses so far. A few notes on what Jeff wrote ...

On 6/14/12 9:21 AM, Beck, Jeff (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E] wrote:
Hi Kevin,

A URI could be nearly anywhere that character data is allowed, of course.
But you should find most of the intended to be URIs in @xlink:href.

Good. (I meant @xlink:href, not @xlink:html, as I originally wrote.)

But, because it is not a required attribute on either<ext-link>  or the
wildly unpopular<uri>, you may need to check the content of those two
elements also - especially if the @ext-link-type or @content-type leads
you to believe that is content you are interested in.

My thinking at this point is that if the source document happens to include a URI (or a mangled URI) as character data, this is not worth checking for validity. In character data, I can't tell apart a URI which for some reason isn't clickable and a fragment of a URI not meant to be clickable but which is included simply to illustrate a technical point. But I can assume that if @xlink:href is present, the URI is meant to be actionable.