Re: [jats-list] about elocation-id and fpage

Subject: Re: [jats-list] about elocation-id and fpage
From: Bruce Rosenblum <bruce@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 20:33:23 -0400
Dear Soichi,

It is not a best-practice to have both an article ID and also page numbers. That's in part because secondary publishers will only index the article using one or the other, but if researchers cite the article sometimes with the article ID and other times by page number then it will cause great difficulty in creating a link to the item. There was also a somewhat heated discussion about publishers trying to use both elocation-ids and page numbers on the CrossRef TWG list several years back and the general consensus was that using both was not a good idea.

There are several alternate solutions to this problem:

1. Use only a DOI for the AOP version, and then traditional pagination for the print version.

2. Use an elocation-id for the AOP version, and continue to use only the elocation-id in the print version. This strategy is used by many publishers including the American Physical Society. Of course the elocation-id should be supplemented with a DOI.

Note that when using elocation-ids (or article IDs, as they are more commonly called), there are best-practices promoted by NFAIS. Please see section 7 of the document http://www.nfais.org/files/file/Best_Practices_Final_Public.pdf.

Best regards,

Bruce