Re: [jats-list] Re: future of Preview XSLT

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Re: future of Preview XSLT
From: Wendell Piez <wapiez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 12:29:42 -0400
Dear Jeff,

This is excellent news about your plans to release the Preview
stylesheets on Github.

Kevin raised the interesting question of whether there are any IP
restrictions (due to explicit or implicit copyrights to the work) that
would hinder or prevent forking and then distributing modifications.
Can you comment on that?

Thanks,
Wendell

On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Beck, Jeff (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E]
<beck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Kevin,
>

> We've received the Preview Stylesheets from Mulberry for HTML and FO
> rendering of articles, and we plan to release them on GitHub before
> JATS-Con B- probably sometime next week. We will send the details to this
> list.
>
> Having them available on GitHub gives us the opportunity to do two things.
> First, it should be quite easy for any user to make a fork from the
> distribution and customize the stylesheets for their own journal(s). This
> is our intention for the Preview Stylesheets B- to act as a basis for
> starting to build a renderer. Our goal is not to build a final perfect
> HTML or page view of articles, because the requirements for that will be
> different for every user.
>
> Releasing on GitHub also will greatly facilitate others sending us bug
> fixes and suggested improvements (B3pull requestsB2) and our being able to
> evaluate and incorporate them. This will be very useful, but may also
> require a good bit of management on our end.  It will be important that
> these pull requests only include bug fixes or upgrades that everyone
> wants, and not styling or preferences that we donB9t want to impose on
> everyone.  We will see how it goes.

XML | XSLT | electronic publishing
Eat Your Vegetables