[jats-list] a new JATS wiki

Subject: [jats-list] a new JATS wiki
From: Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 18:28:50 -0400
Thanks to everyone at this year's JATS-Con: great papers, great organizing, and great audience questions. I would be joining you tonight for the "after party" if I weren't sitting at the airport on my way home.

We talked a bit about providing ways for members of the community to share JATS customizations, Schematron rules, tools, and more without leaving the burden of maintaining such a resource on the folks at the NLM. One idea was to do this as a wiki in order to avoid needing to have a webmaster who responds to people's requests to add resources, which lowers the barrier to participation (people just make a quick edit), and which allows the collection of resources to grow organically instead of in a top-down fashion.

If others are interested, I could set up a MediaWiki 1.13.1 instance hosted at the University of Michigan. Here's an example of another such site:

http://webservices.itcs.umich.edu/mediawiki/ml2sig/

The new JATS wiki could be readable by everyone and editable only by those who create a guest login at the University of Michigan.

Some advantages to this wiki setup at U-M:

a) By making people create a guest user account, we outsource the problem of filtering spambots to U-M's login creation process instead of appointing someone to look after the site for malicious account creation and posting of gibberish on pages. (If you doubt that this happens, ask me about why the TEI wiki changed to requiring approval of new users by one of the moderator.)

b) By hosting at U-M rather than on someone's personal website, we ensure an institutional home for the content. While I may not be at U-M forever, the institution, through http://www.lib.umich.edu/mpach , will be committed to JATS for the foreseeable future.

Some disadvantages:

c) It's hosted by the university's central IT services, so I am dependent on them to upgrade MediaWiki and add extensions depending on their schedule and desires.

d) There is no timetable that I'm aware of for implementation of Shibboleth or OpenID, so people will need to create a guest user account to use the system. It's easy but a hassle for everyone to have yet one more account.

e) The URL is kind of ugly. However, I can probably get jatswiki.publishing.umich.edu or register something new (jatswiki.org?) instead.

f) It's MediaWiki. There's no WYSIWYG editor. We all know that people don't like to write in markup.

--Kevin