Re: [jats-list] ORCID ID Tagging and Best Practices

Subject: Re: [jats-list] ORCID ID Tagging and Best Practices
From: Debbie Lapeyre <dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 16:33:00 -0400
On Apr 18, 2013, at 12:56 PM, techlist <techlist.djs@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Because <contrib-id> is not contained in the Journal Publishing v2.3 and
> v3.0 tag sets, would anyone be able to suggest a best practice tagging
> example for either of these cases?

IF YOU MUST USE A TAGGING SOLUTION

I would not try to solve this problem in the tagging at all. I would modify
the
DTD. Yes, this does mean that you would have a nonstandard V2.3 or V3.0.
If this is a problem, then Nikos is right: you have 3 choices: make the
ORCID into an <author-comment> , a <uri>, or an <ext-link>. I agree with
Nikos that <uri> is the best of these evils and would also follow his lead in
using
@content-type to mark this as an ORCID.

CUSTOMIZING THE DTD

If having a non-standard 2.3 or 3.0 is NOT a problem, read on.

I think that the cleanest approach would be to use the JATS extension
mechanism to change your model for <contrib> to include
<contrib-id> in the same place that the NISO JATS does now.
You know you need it; modify v2.3 or whatever version you have
to include it.

If the explanation below is clear-as-mud, I apologize, I eat and sleep
this stuff and assume that everyone else does too. If this is too brisk,
please ask for details.

My proposed solution:

in your model customization file, redefine the "contrib-model" parameter
entity. Your version should get called before the NLM/JATS
models so it will override them.

You can make a %contrib-id.class; as JATS does:

<!ENTITY % contrib-id.class "contrib-id" >

<!ENTITY % contrib-model
        "( (%contrib-id.class;)*, (%name.class;)*,
              (%degree.class; | %contrib-info.class;)* )">

Or you can just  put the contrib-id directly into your version of the
model:

<!ENTITY % contrib-model
        "( contrib-id*, (%name.class;)*, (%degree.class; |
%contrib-info.class;)* )">

The only tricky part is remembering to take off that customization
when you change to current NISO JATS.

--Debbie