[jats-list] PLOS blog about relative merits of XML (JATS) and HTML in workflows

Subject: [jats-list] PLOS blog about relative merits of XML (JATS) and HTML in workflows
From: "Sheila M. Morrissey" <Sheila.Morrissey@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 10:24:46 -0400
Apologies for cross-posting, but I think this might be of interest to both of
these lists.

Molly Sharp, newly appointed product manager for content management at PLOS,
has this post on the newly-created PLOS technology blog.

http://blogs.plos.org/tech/structured-documents-for-science-jats-xml-as-canon
ical-content-format/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%
3A+plos%2Fblogs%2Fmain+%28Blogs+-+Main%29

Her query
               If XML is being used as an interchange format only, what do we
gain from moving the XML piece of the workflow any further upstream from final
delivery?

Would be very interested in thoughts from members of these two lists.

Sheila M. Morrissey
Senior Research Developer
ITHAKA
100 Campus Drive
Suite 100
Princeton NJ 08540
609-986-2221
sheila.morrissey@xxxxxxxxxx

ITHAKA (www.ithaka.org) is a not-for-profit organization that helps the
academic community use digital technologies to preserve the scholarly record
and to advance research and teaching in sustainable ways.  We provide
innovative services that benefit higher education, including Ithaka S+R,
JSTOR, and Portico.