Re: [jats-list] BITS: <volume> and <volume-id> for book

Subject: Re: [jats-list] BITS: <volume> and <volume-id> for book
From: Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 16:40:17 -0400
Wei,

I'm unclear on the difference between a volume number for a book and for a book series. If you have one at hand, it would be helpful to see a citation formatted for print that contains both types of volume numbers.

Alternatively, you can tell me which is which in this complicated bibliographic reference involving two volume numbers (taken from the TEI Guidelines) ...

An article entitled "Iolaos" appeared on pages 64 to 70 of a volume entitled "Herakles to Poseidon", which was itself the second of a four volumes published together under the title "Cults of Boitia"; this last title constituted the 38th volume in the series "Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies Supplements".

Here there's "vol. 2" (of the four volumes in "Cults of Boitia") and "vol. 38" (in the series "Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies Supplements"). Do you think of "vol. 2" as the "book" and "vol. 38" as the "book series"?

--Kevin