Re: [jats-list] Tagging supplementary material in JATS

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Tagging supplementary material in JATS
From: Kevin Hawkins <kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 16:14:06 -0500
Sasha,

On 4/26/14 6:24 PM, Alexander Schwarzman wrote:

In addition to the technical question of which markup is more
appropriate, this makes me think of two issues:
- is JATS an appropriate tool to express the (hierarchical) structure
and contents of supplementary materials? It's a *Journal Article* Tag
Set after all, and not necessarily the right expressive instrument for
dealing with the sprawling hierarchies of (potentially infinitely
nested) components that may have a certain relationship to the said
article.

I'll let others weigh in on whether they feel JATS is appropriate for reflecting the structure and contents of supplementary material. However, I'll note that you might consider creating a METS document to accompany each JATS article. This METS document can express the structure and content. Furthermore, by keeping the structure there, it would free you to use the JATS markup as you read the JATS specification, without also trying to encode your hierarchy in it.

--Kevin