[jats-list] Using JATS to cite research data.

Subject: [jats-list] Using JATS to cite research data.
From: "Ian Mulvany i.mulvany@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 13:10:10 -0000
I'd like to tap into the collective wisdom of this group in
preparation for a workshop that I am co-organising in June on data
citation.

# Introduction and Question
How can we best use JATS to cite research data? Does this group have
specific examples of data citation that they could share with me,
and does anyone have strong opinions about the straw man options that
I list at the bottom of this message?

# Need
Citations to research data is currently coded almost arbitrarily
across different publishers, making it hard to machine read
data contributions in the literature.

# Background
We are running a workshop in June at the British Library to propose
some best practices for citing research data. This is being done
under the umbrella of the FORCE11 Data Citation Implementation group (
- https://www.force11.org/datacitationimplementation), and it will
involve a selection of invited participants, mostly
representing production departments of STM publishers. Ahead of that
meeting I'd like to start this thread as a background discussion to
the viability of some of the options the organisers of the meeting are
thinking about. Below I list three straw man options that we have been
discussing, along with basic pros and cons.

# Straw man Options

1 get people to agree on best practice using the existing tag set
  pros:
       - nothing new needs to be introduced to JATS
  cons:
  - probably makes adoption harder, and the creation of tooling to
identify data citations harder, as these tools
  as overloading existing tags will likely not produce a tag syntax
unique to research data

2 extend the JATS tag set to support specific citation of research data
  pros:
  - clean start, produces a standard that everyone can move towards,
good for creation of downstream tools
  cons:
  - extending JATS can take some time, owing to the standardisation process

3 produce an extension to JATS for data citation, along the same lines
as http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK47081/
  pros:
     - does not need to wait for extension of JATS to be usable
  cons:
     - highly specific extension may face a difficulty in gaining
adoption in publishing workflows