[jats-list] Echoed messages to the list

Subject: [jats-list] Echoed messages to the list
From: "Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 21:27:27 -0000
Subscribers

Some of you have reported that the recent changes to the configuration
of the list have resulted in your getting duplicates of your own
postings to the list. (Note that others are not getting two copies of
your postings, only the person who sent the message is seeing the
duplicate.)

After a little investigation I now think I know what is causing
these duplicate messages.

The echo happens when people have their email set up to send
then a copy of every message sent. So, when you send a message to
the list you receive a copy from your email.

Since you are subscribed to the list, a copy is sent to you from
Biglist (the service that manages lists for Mulberry). In the past,
a filter on your end identified a mis-match between your email
address and the source of the message and threw away the second
copy of the message. However, now that the headers on messages
processed through the list are consistent, you are receiving the
copy of your message that is going to all subscribers to the list.

You can tell the difference: messages that have been received by
the list and re-sent to all list subscribers will:

 - have a lists.mulberrytech.com message id
 - have the unsubscribe footer
 - be DKIM-signed
 - have several List-* headers

The list does not have the option not to send postings to the person
who sent them. If this is really troubling to you I suggest setting
up a filter to detect your postings to the list and delete one (but
probably not both) of them.

 Tommie

B. Tommie Usdin                        mailto:btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in XML and SGML