[jats-list] Replication publication and tagging the relationship to original article

Subject: [jats-list] Replication publication and tagging the relationship to original article
From: "Melissa Harrison m.harrison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 15:30:09 -0000
Hi,

We are publishing the results of the Reproducibility Project: Cancer
Biology. This will involve publishing a 'Registered Report' that sets out
how a team will be reproducing the work of a previously published (but not
in our journal) study, following by a 'Replication Study' that will give
the results of that team's reproduced experiments.

Has anyone done this before and have recommended tagging as we are trying
to work out the best way to tag the citation information for the original
article (separate from the reference list to indicate the close
relationship between the Registered Report or Replication Study, and this
original article)? Our first thought is to use the <related-article>
element. We would like to use an attribute (related-article-type) firstly
to indicate the connection between the articles we're publishing and the
original piece, and secondly as a means of highlighting/linking to the
original article on our site.

Looking at the attributes currently recommended by JATS, there is nothing
that immediately appears to cover this situation. The articles we're
publishing will not be commentaries or addenda to the original article as
such; they will instead be replications of the previously published work.

Questions:

1) Have we chosen the right element to use for this situation?
2) What would be an appropriate related-article-type for this situation?
3) If none exists, should one be added to the list?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Melissa

Melissa Harrison, Head of Production Operations, *eLife*
eLife Sciences Publications, Ltd
1st Floor
24 Hills Road
Cambridge