Re: [jats-list] DOIs in references

Subject: Re: [jats-list] DOIs in references
From: "Alf Eaton eaton.alf@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2014 17:12:49 -0000
I wonder why those publishers want to hard-code the DOI resolver prefix
into the XML, rather than adding it when rendering as HTML or PDF (for
example)?

I thought it might be a case of wanting to specify the DOI registration
agency, i.e. CrossRef DOIs would use a dx.doi.org URL and DOIs registered
elsewhere would link somewhere else, but everyone seems to link to
dx.doi.org even for DOIs registered elsewhere.

Is it perhaps something to do with wanting to present some DOIs as links,
but not others?

I'd also note that hard-coding the URL makes it more difficult for a
renderer to choose to use the https version of dx.doi.org, or an
alternative DOI resolver, in the future.

Alf