[jats-list] JATS-Con Pre-Conference Tutorials, Monday, April 20, 2015

Subject: [jats-list] JATS-Con Pre-Conference Tutorials, Monday, April 20, 2015
From: "Beck, Jeff (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E] beck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2015 22:36:39 -0000
JATS-Con 2015 will be held on April 21 & 22 of 2015 in the Lister Hill
Auditorium on the NIH campus in Bethesda, MD (see
http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/jats-con).

We will be having two pre-conference tutorials on Monday, April 20.
Participation is free but limited due to space restrictions. Please register
(http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/jats-con/forms/JATStutorial.html).

PMC, PubMed, and NIHMS: Boundaries and Interactions
TPMC (full-text articles), PubMed (article citations), and NIHMS
(peer-reviewed manuscripts) are often confused for one another by users and
content providers alike. While some of this confusion comes from the nearly
identical terms "PubMed" and "PubMed Central", an even greater degree arises
when the same content flows simultaneously through each system.

In this half-day session, we will present an overview of these distinct
resources, describing the purpose and function of each, illustrating how they
interact with one another, and discussing future efforts to better integrate
them into a more cohesive entity. Staff members from all three projects will
be on hand to answer your questions.

What's New in JATS since 1.0?
There have been a number of updates made to the JATS article models since NISO
Z39.96 was released officially in August of 2012. These updates comprise three
Committee Draft releases: 1.1d1, December 2013; 1.1d2, December 2014; and
1.1d3, anticipated in Spring 2015.

In the afternoon session, we will discuss in detail the changes specified in
these three Committee Drafts (which we are expecting to be in the next
official release). New capabilities include:

   * Affiliation identifiers
   * Additional locations for some metadata elements like <abstract> and
<kwd-group>
   * Ruby tagging
   * A new parameter entity to make it easier to add global attributes (which
now includes a global @id and xml:base attributes)
   * MathML 3
   * <code> element
   * NISO Access and License Indicators (ALI) elements <free_to_read> and
<license_ref>
   * Structures for citing data

In addition to discussing the new capabilities we will provide examples of
each in use and answer questions about how they could/should be used.

Tutorial details with a link to the registration page are here:
http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/jats-con/2015/tutorials.html

You can register for the conference now, too:
http://jats.nlm.nih.gov/jats-con/forms/JATSregistration.html

See you in the Spring!
Jeff
j<mailto:beck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>ats-con@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:ats-con@xxxxxx