Re: [jats-list] html fragments and JATS

Subject: Re: [jats-list] html fragments and JATS
From: "Gareth Oakes goakes@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 09:23:07 -0000
Hi Peter,

The JATS doctype doesnbt include XHTML so definitely no way to store HTML
fragments as-is. You do have a number of options but it depends on the various
users of your data as to what makes sense. I see most options as falling into
one of two categories.

1. Most simply you wrap everything up as CDATA:
<disp-formula><alternatives><textual-form><![CDATA[<span
class="ABC">text</span>]]></textual-form>b&</disp-formula>

2. Otherwise you translate the HTML to something JATS-y (carefully capturing
all attributes):
<disp-formula><alternatives><textual-form><styled-content
style-type="ABC">text</styled-content>]]></textual-form>b&</disp-formula>

First option is quick and easy. Second option lets you do more with the
content when it is in JATS format.

I hope the thought process, at least, helps.

// Gareth Oakes
// Chief Architect, GPSL
// www.gpsl.co

From: "Peter Krautzberger