Re: [jats-list] html fragments and JATS

Subject: Re: [jats-list] html fragments and JATS
From: "Alexander Schwarzman aschwarzman@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2016 21:01:52 -0000
Hi, Gareth:

Maybe I wasn't clear enough: what I wanted the clarification on was
whether or not it is a good idea to use the <!CDATA[[]]> construct
within the <code> and <textual-form> elements.

Of course, the Tag Library does not endorse best practices, so this
may be a question for the JATS4R group.

Alexander ('Sasha') Schwarzman

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 3:35 PM, Gareth Oakes goakes@xxxxxxx
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Alexander,
>

> Just a comment regards CDATA. The <!CDATA[[]]> construct is a core feature
of XML 1.0. How can it be deprecated? Or do you mean its use should be
discouraged for JATS? Ibd have to argue against that; CDATA is functionally
identical to escaping all markup characters in PCDATA and can be a nice
convenience (e.g. for capturing source code).

> I do understand that CDATA has been misused in the past. Almost every junior
XML developer is tempted at one point or another to wrap up vast swathes of
markup as unparsed CDATA text. Perhaps guidance is needed on use vs abuse!

> // Gareth Oakes
>
> // Chief Architect, GPSL
>
> // www.gpsl.co

> On 10/03/2016, 00:05, "Alexander Schwarzman aschwarzman@xxxxxxxxx"
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>An HTML fragment could be tagged with either <textual-form> or <code>
>
>>-- and thus it would be nice if the Tag Library provided guidance on
>
>>the use of <textual-form> vs. <code>, especially within
>
>><alternatives>. Also, whether it is <textual-form> or <code>, in order
>
>>to represent angular brackets one could use escaped characters &lt;
>
>>and &gt; or the CDATA section instead, as Gareth has suggested. The
>
>><code> examples in the Tag Library use the escaped characters, but it
>
>>is unclear if the use of CDATA is deprecated or not.
>

>>Alexander ('Sasha') Schwarzman, Content Technology Architect
>
>>phone: +1.202.416.1979 | e-mail: aschwarzman@xxxxxxx
>

>>The Optical Society (OSA)
>
>>2010 Massachusetts Ave., NW
>
>>Washington, DC 20036 USA
>
>>www.osa.org
>

>>On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 4:28 AM, Peter Krautzberger
>
>>peter.krautzberger@xxxxxxxxxxx
>
>><jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> Hi Gareth,
>

>>> Thanks for the quick reply!
>

>>> Option 1) sounds good -- I didn't think of (ab)using it this way.
>

>>> Option 2) is good to know. I don't think it's necessary for me as I'll
>
>>> always have MathML (which the HTML is created from).
>

>>> Best regards,
>
>>> Peter.

HTML

style-type="ABC">text</styled-content>]]></textual-form>b&</disp-formula>

<jats-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm