Re: [jats-list] Adopting the JATS<ali:license_ref> for open access

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Adopting the JATS<ali:license_ref> for open access
From: "Owens, Evan evan.owens@xxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 17:38:06 -0000
The other advantage to using <ali:license_ref> is that it has an attribute for
start_date which is a component  of  license metadata to be deposited with
Crossref.  So not just moving the URL attribute but adding a new bit of data.
This is a big issue for CHORUS publishers: registering open access license
info with Crossref.  Herebs the example that I included in the CHORUS
Publisher Implementation Guide

License Metadata XML Examples

Example 5. License Metadata in Crossref Schema (v4.3.4)

<ai:program name=bAccessIndicatorsb>
 <ai:license_ref applies_to="am" start_date="2015-07-01">
   http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
 </ai:license_ref>
</ai:program>

JATS version 1.1 added support for NISO Access License Indicator metadata,
which is related to the Crossref Access Indicators metadata but not exactly
the same. As part of the change to support NISO ALI, the URL for the license
moved from an attribute to an element content.

Example 6. License Metadata using JATS 1.1. There is no equivalent to the
Crossref applies_to attribute; specific_use is a suggestion as to how to
encode that in JATS 1.1.

<license>
 <ali:license_ref xmlns:ali=bhttp://www.niso.org/schemas/ali/1.0/b
         specific-use="am" start_date="2015-07-01">
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
 </ali:license_ref>
 b&
<license>

Evan Owens
Co-chair CHORUS Technical Working Group
VP Publishing Technologies, Cenveo Publisher Services
2905 Byrdhill Road, Richmond VA 23228