[jats-list] Chinese reference <source> that includes transliteration and translation

Subject: [jats-list] Chinese reference <source> that includes transliteration and translation
From: "Jennifer Flint jen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 13:20:18 -0000
Hi,

I am working on an implementation of JATS archive1.1d3. In many of our
reference lists, we have book titles that are in Chinese where the
authors provide both a transliteration of the characters into pinyin in
addition to a translation of the source into English.

Now, while it would be somewhat accurate to include both the Chinese
characters and pinyin transliteration within a single <source> tag (as
was done in the <collab> element in the example below), the practical
result of this is that the Chinese characters would then be italicized
when italics are included in the CSS for the source output (as in our
case). Since this is not correct (only the pinyin source name should be
italicized), we need to separate the pinyin from the Chinese characters
in the XML.

I'm sure that others have encountered such references before, so I'd
like to hear how you are handling these. My current thought process for
our implementation is below.

A full version of one such <ref>:

<ref id="CIT0001">
	<mixed-citation publication-type="book">
		<person-group>
			<collab-alternatives>
				<collab xml:lang="zh-Hans">ed:,e$'e-&d::d:i(
				BDijD+ng DC xuC) RC)nshC, BC9</collab>
				<collab xml:lang="en">[Human Resources
				Department, Peking University]</collab>
			</collab-alternatives>
		</person-group>
		<x>, </x>
		<source xml:lang="zh-Hans">fe8f	e2011 JiC oshD+ shGucC( Cr
		lC-ng yD+ yD+</source>
		<x> [</x>
		<trans-source xml:lang="en">Teachersb handbook:
		2011</trans-source>
		<x>]. </x>
		<publisher-loc>ed:, Beijing</publisher-loc>
		<x>: </x>
		<month>August</month>
		<x> </x>
		<year>2011</year>
		<x>. </x>
		<comment>Internet</comment>
		<x> </x>
		<uri xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
		xlink:href="http://hr.pku.edu.cn/document/20111216163150898104.pdf";>http://
hr.pku.edu.cn/document/20111216163150898104.pdf</uri>
		<x>, </x>
		<date-in-citation content-type="access-date">7 June
		2012</date-in-citation>
		<x>.</x>
	</mixed-citation>
</ref>

The primary source in this example should be tagged as follows:

<source xml:lang="zh-Hans">fe8f	e2011</source>

But, how would you treat the transliteration of the source name?
Although it is not wise to do so, my initial thought is to use a second
<source> element with a specific-use attribute to identify the content.
Alternatively, we could wrap the pinyin transliteration in a
<named-content> element. In either case, we will then be able to create
a span for this content that will allow for this to be italicized in the
output while the Chinese characters are output without italics.

A)
<source xml:lang="zh-Hans">fe8f	e2011</source>
<source specific-use="transliteration">JiC oshD+ shGucC( Cr lC-ng yD+
yD+</source>

or

B)
<source xml:lang="zh-Hans">fe8f	e2011
	<named-content content-type="transliteration">JiC oshD+ shGucC( Cr
	lC-ng yD+ yD+</named-content>
</source>

It would be helpful if there were a <source-alternatives> element to
group duplicates as is the case with the <collab-alternatives>.  We
would like to be able to readily select the appropriate content based on
the reader's preference to view the references in Chinese or English.

Any tips you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jen

jflintcreative.com