Re: [jats-list] Tagging user facility support - ORCID Working Group question

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Tagging user facility support - ORCID Working Group question
From: "Tommie Usdin btusdin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2017 11:53:14 -0000
Hi Mark b

I think <award-group award-type="facility-supportb> is the much more robust
approach. Not that the other would not work, but it opens the door to an
unlimited number of additional special-purpose tags.

Not long ago I had a conversation with someone trying to figure out how, in
JATS,  to acknowledge a gift of free access to a set of commercial data sets -
not quite the same as providing facilities, but not quite a grant of money. We
didnbt think of using <funding-group> with a descriptive @award-type, but
now that I see your example I will pass it on. This seems like a clear,
flexible, and extensible approach.

b Tommie

<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am part of an ORCID working group that is working with publishers and US
Department of Agency national labs that provide researchers with access to
user facilities run by the DOE. The goal is to try and better track the
publications that result from research conducted at these facilities. You can
learn more about this effort at https://orcid.org/about/community
<https://orcid.org/about/community>. One of the questions that has arisen in
our discussions is how might we best accomplish the tagging of this type of
support, which is distinct from direct monetary funding. Before submitting a
request for a change in JATS, the group has asked me to consult here.

> The main concern is whether user facility usage, which does have to go
through a request/approval process and gets an award number, should be
considered semantically the same as "funding." Also, I have explicitly cc'ed
Chuck from Crossref because we also have concerns about how this might work
when publishers deposit metadata using JATS.

> 1) So one option is to simply use <funding-group> and include an agreed upon
new value for the award-type attribute on <award-group>, something like:

> <funding-group>
>   <award-group award-type="grant">
>     <funding-source country="US">National Science
Foundation</funding-source>
>     <award-id>NSF DBI-0317510</award-id>
>   </award-group>
>   <award-group award-type="facility-support">
>     <funding-source country="US">Spallation Neutron Source</funding-source>
>     <award-id>SPS 12345</award-id>
>   </award-group>
> </funding-group>
>
> This solution doesn't require a change to JATS, but may require additional
facilities added to the Crossref Open Funder Registry.

> 2) Another solution would be to introduce a new container element and new
tags that are more specific to research facilities and non-monetary group to
avoid the semantic confusion over the term "funding". For example, new (not
fully thought out) tags could be <research-facility-group>, <user-facility>,
and/or <facility-award>, etc.

> This has the advantage of strongly identifying the semantics of the
information and perhaps could be made general enough to support other kinds of
non-monetary support. This would of course require new tags to be introduced
into JATS.

> 3) Another possibility that was discussed was to somehow incorporate this
information using affiliation tagging, but the working group consensus was
that this wasn't a good approach.

> It would be helpful to have some feedback on options 1 and 2 (or other
suggestions!) so that the working group could make a strong recommendation, if
needed, to the JATS Standing Committee.