Re: [jats-list] BITS DTD customization

Subject: Re: [jats-list] BITS DTD customization
From: "dal dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 18:11:44 -0000
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That is what I did when customizing BITS:
> 	b" I created two small modules with classes
> 	b" One of those classes was added to the entity %p-elements;
>          and one to %para-level;

This is fine, you should have created two new modules:
 - one to hold your new classes
 - one to hold your revised mixes (p-elements, para-level)

> 	b" I renamed the modules that contain those entities
> (BITS-bookcustom-models2.ent and BITS-bookcustom-mixes2.ent)

Please do NOT do that. DO NOT touch or rename any regular
BITS modules. Just call your modules in (invoke them) in
the DTD BEFORE the existing BITS modules, and yours will
override. In XML, the first invocation of a Parameter
Entity takes effect and overrides all others. It will be
as if no definition exists but yours.

Your DTD will look approximately like this:
Note yours are called in BEFORE the default ones.

   %mycustom-classes.ent;
   %bookcustom-classes2.ent;

   %mycustom-mixes.ent;
   %bookcustom-mixes2.ent;

Unless you also changed a model or attribute, leave
    BITS-bookcustom-models2.ent
alone. It will use your new parameter entities for
para-level and p-elements, because you called them
in first.

> 	b" I exchanged the two modules' entities in the .dtd filesb
> part where the customization modules are invoked

Yes, it is in the DTD, where the customizations are
invoked. DO not remove what is there, just add
your new modules. You need to state:

   %mycustom-classes.ent;
   %bookcustom-classes2.ent;

   %mycustom-mixes.ent;
   %bookcustom-mixes2.ent;

in that order. Everything else will remain the same
as it was before you modified.

> 	b" I created a "module of modules" file where all
>  the new and modified modules are included

Yes, this was necessary. Any new modules should be named in
this new Module of Modules. There should be NO modified
modules.

> 	b" This module was added to the part where the
> modules of modules are declared and invoked in the main module

Yes, this was necessary. So now your DTD should be calling in
three Modules of Modules: yours, that for BITS (unchanged),
that for JATS (unchanged).

Hope this helps.

bDebbie

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron