Re: [jats-list] Citations to multiple articles in single reference

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Citations to multiple articles in single reference
From: "Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 23:11:59 -0000
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We were wondering if there were opinions on how to parse a reference that
contains an article citation and its correction,  like this:

> Yan H, Zhong G, Xu G, He W, Jing Z, Gao Z, Huang Y, Qi Y, Peng B, Wang H, Fu
L, Song M, Chen P, Gao W, Ren B, Sun Y, Cai T, Feng X, Sui J, Li W. 2012.
Sodium taurocholate cotransporting polypeptide is a functional receptor for
human hepatitis B and D virus. Elife 1:e00049. doi:10.7554/eLife.00049.
(Correction, 3:e05570, 2014, doi:10.7554/eLife.05570.)

> It seems like there could be multiple ways to handle this sort of
construction (in fact we do it all sorts of different ways---using comments,
free text, and parsing granular elements), and webd like to settle on a more
consistent method across our reference lists so we have available the most
useful information for folks consuming our reference data downstream.

Yes there are rather a lot of ways to do this.

One you might consider, since the correction is actually a separate
article, is to use two citations (either <mixed-citation> or
<element-citation>) inside a single <ref>.

The second citation could have the bCorrection,' in a
<comment> in an <element-citation>, but EVEN BETTER,
it would just be free text in a <mixed-citation>:

<ref>
<mixed-citation>b&</mixed-citation> (or use <element-citation>!)
, <year>2014</year>, b&  .)</mixed-citation>
</ref>

Just thinking out loud.

bDebbie Lapeyre

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron