Re: [jats-list] @scope and @headers

Subject: Re: [jats-list] @scope and @headers
From: "Tony Graham tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2019 12:36:08 -0000
On 09/04/2019 14:09, Bruce Rosenblum bruce@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Thanks for all the background research; it's much more detail than
I've read in one place.

You're welcome: I'd figured it needed a bit of background before launching into my problems with current attribute definitions.

At a more practical level, we've been setting scope attributes in
JATS XML files for years for customers who need section 508
compliance and it's met their requirements. One of our customers did
raise the question of the headers attribute and they decided that
setting it correctly in all cases would present significant
challenges while gaining them little extra, so they decided to stick
just with scope.

My unscientific testing of just the NVDA screen-reader showed that @headers was supported but @scope wasn't. I don't know whether that was due to NVDA or to the API provided by the browser and/or operating system.

In theory, it should be easy enough to generate @headers from @scope.  I
have an inkling that it could be done with streaming XSLT 3.0 by using
accumulators.  It would certainly be simpler than going the other way.

Sadly, Section 508 compliance is often just a box to be ticked.  The
content creators should be the ones looking after accessibility, but the
software often has to do what it can to help get the content over the
line.  AH Formatter similarly generates 'Scope' attributes for TH
structure elements when generating PDF/UA.  It can infer whether the
value should be 'row' or 'column', but only the content creator would
know when that should be 'rowgroup' or 'colgroup'.

Regards,

Tony Graham. -- Senior Architect XML Division Antenna House, Inc. ---- Skerries, Ireland tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxx