[jats-list] Release of the 2019-2020 Library of Congress Recommended Formats Statement

Subject: [jats-list] Release of the 2019-2020 Library of Congress Recommended Formats Statement
From: "Bausenbach, Ardie abau@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 14:58:15 -0000
The Library of Congress is pleased to announce the release of the 2019-2020
Recommended Formats Statement
(http://www.loc.gov/preservation/resources/rfs/).  We have been gratified to
see how widely the Statement continues to be used throughout the stakeholder
community.  And with this version, we have aimed to provide some valuable
updates to the sections on Moving Image Works and Audio Works in particular.
The goal of the Recommended Formats has always been to provide useful
information furthering the shared goal of ensuring the preservation of and
long-term access to creative works.  By providing up-to-date information about
the file types, physical and technical characteristics and associated metadata
which support these worthy goals, the Statement hopes to provide the building
blocks upon which libraries can build their collections, now and for the
future.

The Library remains committed to acquiring and preserving digital works and to
providing whatever support it can to other similarly committed stakeholders.
We shall continue to build our collections with their preservation and
long-term access firmly in mind; and we shall continue to engage with others
in the community in efforts such as the Recommended Formats Statement.  We
encourage any and all feedback and comments
(http://www.loc.gov/preservation/resources/rfs/contacts.html) others might
have on the Statement that might make it more useful for both our needs and
for the needs of anyone who might find it worthwhile in their own work.  And
we shall continue to engage in an annual review process to ensure that it
meets the needs of all stakeholders in the preservation and long-term access
of creative works.

For more information, please contact Ted Westervelt
[thwe@xxxxxxx<mailto:thwe@xxxxxxx>].