Re: [jats-list] 3. The reason you think JATS works

Subject: Re: [jats-list] 3. The reason you think JATS works
From: "Edwards, Patrick H edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2020 19:09:26 -0000
This is what Jeremy Keith calls "paving the cowpaths," one of the WHATWG HTML
design principles, alongside "support existing content," "do not reinvent the
wheel," and "priority of constituencies."

Patrick H. Edwards B7 Supervisor of Production
International Ocean Discovery Program B7 JOIDES Resolution Science Operator
Texas A&M University B7 1000 Discovery Drive B7 College Station TX  77845-9547
979 845 1199 B7 edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

o;?On 4/29/20, 1:49 PM, "Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    >> 3. The reason you think JATS works or doesn't work.

    JATS works because (with rare, and usually regretted, exceptions)
    JATS DOES NOT LEAD, it follows publishing practice.

    When JATS was being planned, we looked at many ways to organize
    journal articles and journal article metadata.
    For example, if we could imagine 5 ways to model something
    (call these techniques a, b, c, d, and e), we learned that
    (for 'publisher' in the following list, read 'publisher/archive/
    webhost/platform"):

    - 8% of publishers did not tag this data at all.
    - 85% of publishers used technique "a".
    - 2 publishers used technique "b"  (a clearly superior technique)
    - 4 publishers used technique "c" or a "c/d" hybrid (and used
        them very badly).
    - Nobody used the perfectly logical, to us, technique "e"
    AND
    - One publisher did something we had never imagined, some
        of them horrible, some absolutely brilliant!

    So, did we use either of the brilliant, clearly  technically
    superior solutions? No, We did not. We did what the 85% of
    publishers did. Easier for all users all around.

    JATS does not lead, it follows current publishing practice.

    --Debbie

    Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.mulberrytech.com&d=Dw
ICAg&c=u6LDEWzohnDQ01ySGnxMzg&r=JwgaogoucCXsnkQ5fnhBRTvIhwSgG411N644Mfo97zk&m
=XT5LbcIZM1OSxdiWlE01x9Krkl07ZrQgeIybnuaqX9E&s=J_rtDxSRfOIoLqJDbsqv4rNAsuUVtD
CSn-NwDwEecxk&e=
    17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
    Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
    Rockville, MD 20850