Re: [jats-list] 4. The reason(s) you think JATS works

Subject: Re: [jats-list] 4. The reason(s) you think JATS works
From: "Denise French dfrenchlibrary@xxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 16:15:51 -0000
Mr. Schwartzman wrote:

3) Finally, the built-in customization design principle making it easy
to create a tag subset or a tag superset was absolutely brilliant. I
find the whole Swiftian Big-Endian/Little-Endian controversy about
Greenification of Blue, JATS Lite, etc. quite amusing -- one can
always create a subset that suits one's need.

Don't sneer at people, it's rude. And you are missing the point of
agreed-upon tag sets. It is FAR easier to get a community to agree to all
use something standard than to write a custom anything and get many people
to use it. The minute you suggest agreeing on a customization everyone
wants to change it a bit more, or to have an exception for their
convenience, and you don't have interchange any more. THAT'S why we need
JATS to be a standard in the first place.