Re: [jats-list] Archive-It content in BITS

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Archive-It content in BITS
From: "Debbie Lapeyre dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2020 20:46:48 -0000
Either a <self-uri> or an <ext-link> should work for the link.

Sadly <permissions> is not repeatable inside >book-meta>,
but <copyright-statement> is repeatable inside <permissions>.

does this give you enough?

--Debbie

kevin.s.hawkins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Yes, it makes more sense now.  My approach would be to have a URI link from
each BITS document back to the WARC file containing the PDF from which the
BITS document was generated.  That way a user could follow that link to learn
about the source of the BITS document.  But I'm curious to hear what others
say!

> On 5/1/20 9:16 AM, Ravit David ravit.david@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Hi Kevin,
>> We have one collection from which we actually extracted the PDFs (from the
WARCs), we plan to create BITS records for each PDF and then load them as part
of our government and gov-related collection (on our ebook platform).
>> When creating the metadata I need to add a special copyright statement that
describe how these PDFs came to be and also to credit the institution member
that curated/collected the collection.
>> The rest of the metadata is no different from our regular BITS schema. I
think that in the future I might be interested in bringing into the BITS more
web archiving related metadata but for now i'm focusing on the 2 above
mentioned fields.
>> Hope it makes more sense now?
>> Ravit
>>

>> Ravit H. David, Ph.D.
>> Scholars Portal, OCUL
>> University of Toronto Library
>> 130 St. George St.
>> Toronto, Ontario
>> Canada M5S1A5

below are for creating descriptive metadata about archived websites, such as
those preserved in the Wayback Machine or another web archive, perhaps using
Archive-It.  One of the metadata elements that you might want to describe
about an archived webpage is who collected that website -- which the WAM
recommendations call a "Collector".

>> But why would you want to store metadata about archived webpages in BITS?
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> On 4/30/20 9:45 AM, Ravit David ravit.david@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> Hope you are all well.
>>>
>>> I have a question about an element that is recommended for content that is
curated via Archive-It.
>>> As per OCLC recommendation  the element "COLLECTOR" definition is:
>>> "The organization responsible for curation and stewardship of an archived
website or collection. Use Collector for the organization that selects the web
content for archiving, creates metadata and performs other activities
associated with bownershipb of a resource. Stated another way, this is the
organization that has taken responsibility for the archived content, although
the digital files are not necessarily stored and maintained by this
organization (collections harvested using Archive-It are a prominent
example)." (pg 17)

>>> My question then is how do i represent "collector" in BITS?
>>> I was thinking of doing something like what's in the BITS examples but
collab-type = institution doesn't sit well, does it?
>>>  wondering if folks have different ideas.
>>> <contrib-group>
>>>
>>> <contrib contrib-type="collector">
>>> <collab collab-type="institution">University of Toronto
Libraries</collab>
>>> </contrib>
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance,
>>> Ravit
>>>

>>> Ravit H. David, Ph.D.
>>> Scholars Portal, OCUL
>>> University of Toronto Library
>>> 130 St. George St.
>>> Toronto, Ontario
>>> Canada M5S1A5
>>> Phone: 416-9468213
>>>

>>> JATS-List info and archive
>>> EasyUnsubscribe (by email)
>> JATS-List info and archive
>> EasyUnsubscribe (by email)
>> JATS-List info and archive
>> EasyUnsubscribe (by email)
> JATS-List info and archive
> EasyUnsubscribe (by email)

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron