[jats-list] Library of Congress 2022-2023 version of the Recommended Formats Statement

Subject: [jats-list] Library of Congress 2022-2023 version of the Recommended Formats Statement
From: "Bausenbach, Ardie abau@xxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2022 21:38:54 -0000
The Library of Congress is excited to release the newest version of the
Recommended Formats Statement. Over the last several months, the team of
experts charged with maintaining, improving and ensuring the accuracy of the
Statement have been engaged in the annual process of examining the Statement
and its content categories, to ensure that it correctly reflects the technical
characteristics for best practices regarding preservation and long-term
access.  This year we are very pleased to announce that not merely have the
characteristics for previous content categories been updated and improved; we
have also included Email as a category, meeting a crucial need for users of
the RFS (https://www.loc.gov/preservation/resources/rfs/).

Ensuring that the Statement is both accurate and useful is dependent on
knowing from the stakeholders what needs to be updated and corrected to
reflect current best practices.  The positive feedback we have received has
meant that few major changes have been required for the latest version this
year, though there are some notable updates within the category of geospatial
and cartographic works in particular.

The Library of Congress is encouraged by the value its partners and
stakeholders around the world have found in the Recommended Formats Statement;
and we hope that the work undertaken this year will make them even more
useful.  We look forward to hearing your thoughts as you work with the
Statement and taking them into consideration as we tackle the next annual
revision in 2023.

Ardie Bausenbach
ILS Program Office
Library of Congress