[jats-list] license-type="open-access" vs <?properties open_access?>

Subject: [jats-list] license-type="open-access" vs <?properties open_access?>
From: "Castedo Ellerman castedo@xxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 22:15:16 -0000
I see the JATS XML files in PMC have the XML processing instruction of

<?properties open_access?>

instead of the XML attribute in:

<license license-type="open-access">.

The open-source pandoc software currently makes it easier for users to output the XML attribute and more difficult to output the XML processing instruction.

Is there any software for open systems that does anything meaningful with either of these XML settings?

I just want to double check there aren't any known interoperability problems caused for open systems by using the XML attribute rather than the XML processing instruction like PMC.

Thank you,
B  Castedo Ellerman