Re: [jats-list] Tagging photograph archive citations

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Tagging photograph archive citations
From: "Lizzi, Vincent vincent.lizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 19:21:19 -0000
Hi Rhiannon,

I agree with Debbie's suggestions.

In addition, the <year> element for the date of the referenced work can be
included directly within <mixed-citation>. If this were a situation where a
reference contains more than one date (for example, a date when a referenced
work was accessed) then the <date-in-citation> could be used for any secondary
dates, but the primary year of publication for the referenced work can be
tagged in <mixed-citation><year>. This tag library page has more examples
https://jats.nlm.nih.gov/archiving/tag-library/1.3/chapter/tag-cite-dates.htm
l#arc-tag-cite-dates and also mentions this:

"In some books or older manuscripts, the lower case "c" could also stand for
"circa", meaning approximate. Similar information might be indicated by the
prefix or suffix "approx." or the prefix "between". Such terms should be
preserved similarly; they should be left in the text for mixed citations and
placed in comments for element citations."

If it is possible to include the URL in the reference there are benefits to
doing so, such as making it easier for readers to access the referenced photo
and enabling various kinds of usage statistics.

<mixed-citation publication-type="photo"
publication-format="photo"><elocation-id>SC 1311260</elocation-id>
<source>Scottish Gas Collection</source>: <part-title>Interior view of
gasworks, New Street, Edinburgh</part-title>. Date
xlink:href="https://canmore.org.uk/collection/1311260";>https://canmore.org.uk
/collection/1311260</ext-link>.</mixed-citation>

Kind regards,
Vincent

Vincent M. Lizzi
Head of Information Standards | Taylor & Francis Group
vincent.lizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:vincent.lizzi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Information Classification: General
suggested values, so you could use "photo" for this value as well.

I think I might call the description a <part-title> rather than a
<data-title>.

--Debbie

> <mixed-citation publication-type="photo"
publication-format="photo"><elocation-id>SC 1311260</elocation-id>
<source>Scottish Gas Collection</source>: <part-title>Interior view of
gasworks, New Street, Edinburgh</part-title>. Date <italic>c</italic>

--Debbie

rhiannon.m@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:rhiannon.m@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:jats-list-service@xxxxxxxxxx
errytech.com>> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> An article I'm working on for conversion to XML has a reference list that
includes several references to archival photos. Here's an example:

> SC 1311260 Scottish Gas Collection: Interior view of gasworks, New Street,
Edinburgh. Date c 1906.

> (The cited photo itself can be found at
https://canmore.org.uk/collection/1311260<https://canmore.org.uk/collection/1
311260>, if you want to see, but the URL is not in the reference.)

> There is no author and no precise publication date.
>
> How do you think this reference should be tagged? So far I'm thinking of
classing it as a data citation and tagging as follows:

> <mixed-citation publication-type="data"><elocation-id>SC
1311260</elocation-id> <source>Scottish Gas Collection</source>:
<data-title>Interior view of gasworks, New Street, Edinburgh</data-title>.

> Does anyone have any better ideas?
>
> Best wishes
> Rhiannon
>
> Prepress Projects
> Rhiannon Miller * Principal Project Leader
> Office: +44 (0)1738 450489
> Mobile: +44 (0)7796 340244
>
> JATS-List info and archive
> EasyUnsubscribe (by email)

Deborah A Lapeyre mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.
http://www.mulberrytech.com<http://www.mulberrytech.com>
Rockville, MD 20851 Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron