[niso-sts] NISO question regarding rules= co-occurrence constraints

Subject: [niso-sts] NISO question regarding rules= co-occurrence constraints
From: "G. Ken Holman g.ken.holman@xxxxxxxxx" <niso-sts-list-service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 11:54:11 -0000
Fellow NISO STS users,

I just discovered a co-occurrence constraint on rules= here:

https://www.niso-sts.org/TagLibrary/niso-sts-TL-1-0-html/attribute/rules.html
"If there is no @border attribute, then no rules are drawn."

That introduces a dependency on border= not found in HTML as this group documented with an example:

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/html-table-rules-attribute/

(I know that site isn't definitive, but it does include a screen shot)

When I implemented the constraint in my stylesheets, all of a sudden the rules disappeared in a number of publications that specify rules= without any border= attribute. Sometimes a border is specified using frame=, and at other times a border is specified using style=, and in most cases it is quite obvious the rules= property is desired. But the rules for those all disappeared for me overnight when I followed the specification.

I looked to the markup for NISO Z39 for guidance and, sure enough, here is an arbitrary example for section 8.2.163:

<col width="41.86%"/>
<col width="58.14%"/>
<thead>
<th valign="middle" align="center" scope="col">Value</th>
<th valign="middle" align="center" scope="col">Meaning</th>
</thead>
<tbody>
</tbody></table>

... where I see that the rules= is specified without regard for border= and, per the specification, is considered to be useless.

Has the inclusion of the co-occurrence constraint been added in error?

Thank you for any guidance anyone can offer!

--
Contact info, blog, articles, etc. http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/m/ |
Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training class @ US$45 (5 hours free) |